Business Office – Patient Account Representative
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Revenue Cycle Management
EDUCATION BACKGROUND: High School Graduate or GED
Knowledge of Greenway & Insurance system, working knowledge of medical terminology, knowledge of various 3rd party payers including policy on deductibles & co-pays, good problem-solving skills, well – organized with good time management skills, ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. Must have effective written and verbal communication skills, including phone etiquette, resourcefulness, courtesy and efficiency in answering questions and being prepared to explain policies and procedures pertaining to the business office, prior medical office experience required. Our Billing and Call Center is outsourced, but we still have the same functions in house as well.
- Certified Professional Coder with at least 5 years of experience in a large fast-paced physician specialty practice. This is not a remote position. Position is 8-5pm M-F.
- Must be able to handle extremely high volume of CT, lab, pathology, office, surgery, hospital, chemo, and special office procedures.
- Must be able to code fast and accurately and be able to review chart to make sure that no charges are omitted.
- Familiar and able to move around in hospital portals as well as an EMR system.
- Answer Patient Phone calls regarding patient account balances & status of insurance payments
- Answer any calls from the UCA office staff in regards to questions concerning patient billing and accounts
- Post patient/insurance payments received in the business office to appropriate patient accounts
- Verify patient benefits prior to surgery/procedures; contact patient to discuss any estimated out of pocket amounts that must be paid prior to surgery/procedure
- Set up any payment arrangements or payment plans with patients
- Review and work PIFS report from GRS.
- Follow up on outstanding insurance claims and correct and/or re-file as you come across them, this is normally the duties of GRS.
- Print, prepare and mail paper claims as needed for follow-up if you happen to come across and work an account
- Review credits as you come across them and prepare refunds due to patients
- Maintain notes in patient account regarding any billing issues
- Monitors errors & reports consistent errors to Business Office manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Pleasant and professional personality.
- Word processing and computer experience within an EMR system.
- Medical terminology.
- Knowledge of various third-party payers.
- Professional communication skills.
ENVIRONMENTAL / WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent personal communication and telephone contact with patients and well as GRS. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive. Be a good team-player.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation and sitting for extended periods of time and lifting boxes and office items.