JOB TITLE: Medical Secretary
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible managing the physician(s)’ day-to-day schedule and activities including all necessary duties related to completion of those activities
SUPERVISED BY: Medical Secretary Supervisor
- Manage assigned physician’s schedule – to include scheduling patient appointments, canceling patient appointments, rescheduling patient appointments.
- Managing telephone calls from patients, other physicians, and other staff; take messages for physicians and nurses; follow-up with those phone calls and take care of patient and physician requests.
- Correspondence with insurance companies.
- Medical record requests; retrieval of and delivery to/from appropriate providers.
- Referrals and pre-certifications.
- Maintains patient accounts by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information.
- Prepare consults, surgeries and admissions forms and deliver to surgery schedulers.
- Schedule consults with other physicians, tests and procedures at UCA Homewood office and/or outside facilities.
- Complete FMLA papers at patient’s request with assistance of clinical staff as needed.
- Patient insurance verification and verification of patient demographics.
- Assists other secretaries in office and company, which may include some travel to outlying office location.
- Attends staff meetings as required.
- Conducts self in accordance with UCA’s policies and procedures.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school graduation or GED
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Pleasant and professional personality; Microsoft Word and Excel, computer experience within an EMR system; Medical terminology; Knowledge of various third-party payers; Ability to organize; Ability to work independently; Professional communication skills.
ENVIRONMENTAL / WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent personal communication and telephone contact with patients and other providers. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation and sitting for extended periods of time. May require lifting of objects more than 25 pounds. Ability to stand, walk, reach above head, squat, bend at the waist, and twist.