Our team of skilled urologists is committed to providing you with high-quality, personalized medical care in our state-of-the-art facilities. Our physicians specialize in the comprehensive treatment of urological disorders using the most advanced technology available.
Why UCA for Prostate Cancer and Robotic Surgery?
- Experienced team: UCA is one of the busiest and most experienced robotic centers in the world.
- Urology Centers continues to modify surgical techniques to improve outcomes. Current techniques include:
- Bladder neck sparing procedure
- Veil of Aphrodite nerve sparing technique
- Pelvic floor reconstruction
- Intraoperative pathology evaluation: frozen sections during surgery to reduce positive margins and PSA recurrence
- Biofeedback training to reduce incontinence
- Dedicated erectile dysfunction team to improve potency
- Comprehensive data collection and monitoring of surgical outcomes
Why Choose Robotics?
Studies of several thousand patients show that laparoscopic surgery is as effective as an open prostatectomy with less post-operative pain, fewer complications, shorter hospital stay and a faster recovery time. Compared to open surgery, robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomies offer:
- Less Pain
- Fewer Complications
- Shorter Hospital Stay
- Faster Recovery
- Earlier return of urinary control
- Improved sexual function
- Less internal scarring
Score Card & Explanation
- Average operative time: 2-3 hours
- Average blood loss: less than 100 cc
- No mortality or re-exploration
- 95% discharged in one day
- Average hematocrit of 34.5 (preoperative/postoperative change of 3.1 points)
- Average catheter time: 7 days
- Positive margin rates of 10.5% for the first 200, 7.7% for the first 350, and slightly less than 5% positive margin rates for the last 100 patients using intraoperative frozen section techniques.
- Excellent tumor control with 95% having an undetectable PSA in one year.
- 27% with immediate continence requiring no pads; 47% in one month, 82% in three months, 94% in six months, and 98% in one year of continence without pads.
- Potency data is pending but when nerve-sparing procedures are performed, the results have been very promising.
- Back to normal activities in 9-10 days per third party questionnaire.